13 November 2012

i ♥ babies

I'm baffled by how precious newborns are. I never really caught the vision of babies until I had one of my own. And he is growing TOO FAST. I wondered if I would understand "baby hunger" after I had a baby, and I think despite feeling like I was about to vomit about 90% of the time during pregnancy (the other 10% was a combination of pre-morning-sickness, in ignorant knocked-up bliss, and also actually vomiting), and despite a somewhat horrific birth experience (which even now, a short 7 months later, doesn't seem quite so awful as it did at the time), I might want another someday. Because, well, newborns: aren't they just so sweet? If we have the opportunity to experience being parents of a new baby again, please bless he/she isn't colicky. But even if colic did encroach on Shep's sweet newborn qualities a bit, it was still super neat and so ephemeral.

12 November 2012


image from simplyrecipes.com

I bought one of these impulsively at one of the many local Hispanic markets the other day. I wasn't going to act on my interest in the strange fruit, but then Tim said something about me being cool for trying new things. So of course I had to go for it.

I came home and cut into it and took a tentative bite before realizing that it isn't something meant to be eaten raw, which the Internet then confirmed. But it did strike me as similar to an apple, which the Internet also confirmed. (Same genus apparently.) I have yet to eat it properly, but I imagine it will be good. It smells nice.

Anybody ever had quince?

04 November 2012


Yesterday I gave Shep a lemon wedge to suck on just to see what would happen and he seemed pretty into it.

This kid is totally my child, and I didn't know it before that moment. Do you remember how my host family in Russia was really cute and put a little plate of lemon wedges out for me at meals because they knew I liked lemons? That was cute of them.

I'm going to interrupt my blogging now to go make some lemonade.

P.S. Thanks for your responses to my post about sleep issues. I was nervous about posting that because I've struggled in the past to express myself honestly without being a source of frustration. It's like, I think I'm just sharing when I'm actually being annoying. Oops. So I was a bit hesitant to open up on the blog, but it seemed to go okay. Thank you.

Blog Archive