01 March 2008

Cross-cultural Facebooking.

The other day, I talked to my host family online (via Google Talk). I told my host dad about how saw some pictures of their family because Emily, the girl who lived with them Fall semester, posted them on Facebook.

My host dad wanted to know how to look at them, and he asked me for my log-in name and password. So I gave it to him, which was funny. I'm trying to imagine my host dad in Russia spending time on my Facebook account...and it makes me laugh. And then, he was asking me about what the "status" part means. So in an effort to try to explain what the status was all about, I wrote on my G-chat status, "...is very excited."

I didn't realize until later that "excited" doesn't really have an equivalent in Russian. What a great example.

No comments:

Blog Archive